Thursday, March 5, 2009

Should be studying


So here's the deal... I was laid off from my DREAM JOB at MATRIX Resources at the tail end of February! The next day, I unexpectedly fell into a serving job at J. Alexander's, which is awesome; however, their training program is so challenging. I mean, I just came out of a position as an Information Technology recruiter, having to know all technical jargon and so on. I can honestly say that the tests that I have to take for J's is way more difficult than IT terminology training. On top of that, I have had to study way harder for these tests then I did for classes at UGA. I'm pooped.
On a brighter note, I have been interviewing and meeting with several companies in the past two weeks. It's a good thing that I'm looking for sales jobs in a down economy, otherwise, I wouldn't stand a chance. For updates, please continue reading...
  • Staffing Company A (Full-Desk)-- got the update today that they might not have the bandwidth to bring me on board, but who is to say that can't change soon/AKA, not going to make a move on me
  • Shipping Solutions Company (B2B Sales)-- found this opportunity through a recruiter, I am interested, but I haven't heard back from the hiring manager since Tuesday (tomorrow is Friday), who said she was interested in moving me forward to the next step in the process
  • Telephony/VoIP Company (B2B Sales)-- found this one on my own, was referred to by several of my peers... great place to work right out of college... not many make it and there is a high turnover rate. However, I'm good at sales and up for a challenge. Field ride scheduled for next week
  • Staffing Company B (Account Executive)-- It's great to be a Georgia Bulldog! Yes it is, because the alumni job board is off the chain. So I saw this position and they need someone with 2-3 years of business or sales experience... I have 9 months post-college staffing experience, BUT I'm good at what I do, so I applied, and had my 2nd interview today, met the whole team and am VERY excited about this potential opportunity
  • Staffing Company C (Account Manager or Recruiting)-- They don't have a need right now, but I met with all of the big wigs in the company today and was left with, "When the right opportunity knocks, it's best to answer!" I am Miss Opportunity and I'm knocking... I fully expect to hear back from them soon, and I'm also VERY INTERESTED in them as well - As my friend told me, they are a mirror image to what MATRIX is like. 
So now I'm really going to have to study to make at least a 90 percent on my test tomorrow. If you are interested, it's knowing the ingredients and side items for their 6 different Steaks, Fresh Fish, Chicken, Pasta, Ribs, Burgers, etc.  You'd be surprised... THIS STUFF IS TOUGH!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Victoria! Good things happen to good people, it's just a matter of time. :) CN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Torie!! It's so good to hear from you! I'm scared to death to graduate in May - and am looking for a job too… that hopefully has a chance of being held on to! Make sure to Tweet about your updates so I can come read them! !

    I’m sorry about the job situation. It is everywhere… It’s scary because it doesn’t seem to matter how bright, intelligent or hard working you are – I know how hard you work:) Just remember “the best laid plans of mice and men do oft go askew.” You are one of those people I know that will always be successful though:)

    You should talk to Kirby about speaking to us at IABC - if you have time. Any advice you have about getting laid-off and finding a job would be extremely beneficial to all of us - who are only a few steps behind. Keep in touch!

    Love you and good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete